Wednesday, March 26, 2008

HOTA Evidently Unacceptable

The following URLs are news related to a 21 year old man recovering almost fully 4 MONTHS after being pronounced brain dead by doctors. He woke up when upon hearing that his organs are to be removed for transplantation.

  1. News URL Chinese Taiwan Yahoo
  2. News URL
  3. News URL CNN see quote below
  4. News URL Australian
  5. News URL Australian Yahoo
  6. News URL
  7. News URL

Man declared dead, says he feels 'pretty good'

  • Story Highlights
  • Family members were paying last respects when Dunlap moved hand and foot
  • He remembers hearing doctors pronounce him dead
  • Father says brain scan showed no activity
  • Mother says it was a miraculous feeling to discover son still alive
  • Next Article in U.S. ยป

OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma (AP) -- Zach Dunlap says he feels "pretty good," four months after he was declared brain dead and doctors were about to remove his organs for transplant.


Zach Dunlap, 21, said he has no recollection of his crash.

Dunlap was pronounced dead November 19 at United Regional Healthcare System in Wichita Falls, Texas, after he was injured in an all-terrain vehicle accident. His family approved having his organs harvested.

As family members were paying their last respects, he moved his foot and hand. He reacted to a pocketknife scraped across his foot and to pressure applied under a fingernail. After 48 days in the hospital, he was allowed to return home, where he continues to work on his recovery.

On Monday, he and his family were in New York, appearing on NBC's "Today."

"I feel pretty good. but it's just hard ... just ain't got the patience," Dunlap told NBC.

Dunlap, 21, of Frederick, Oklahoma, said he has no recollection of the crash.

"I remember a little bit that was about an hour before the accident happened. But then about six hours before that, I remember," he said.

Dunlap said one thing he does remember is hearing the doctors pronounce him dead.

"I'm glad I couldn't get up and do what I wanted to do," he said.

Asked if he would have wanted to get up and shake them and say he's alive, Dunlap responded: "Probably would have been a broken window that went out."

His father, Doug, said he saw the results of the brain scan.

"There was no activity at all, no blood flow at all."

Zach's mother, Pam, said that when she discovered he was still alive, "That was the most miraculous feeling."

"We had gone, like I said, from the lowest possible emotion that a parent could feel to the top of the mountains again," she said.

She said her son is doing "amazingly well," but still has problems with his memory as his brain heals from the traumatic injury.

"It may take a year or more ... before he completely recovers," she said. "But that's OK. It doesn't matter how long it takes. We're just all so thankful and blessed that we have him here."

Dunlap now has the pocketknife that was scraped across his foot, causing the first reaction.

"Just makes me thankful, makes me thankful that they didn't give up," he said. "Only the good die young, so I didn't go."
sammyboymod thread
HOTA Opt Out Form - download - print - fill - sign - attach photocopy of NRIC - send FOC